Thursday, May 7, 2009

RUCKUSES for life!



BYU is ridiculously freezing (well to Californian's like me :)) most of the year. Actually I take it back, we had a great fall, but spring was almost nonexistent which is kind of a bummer. My roommate, Jenae, purchased a scooter (moped) this year and was kind enough to let us ride it. We don't ride it during the winter cuz that is colder than words can explain(and if you dont believe me, ask Kelsey. Mention something about scooters and skirts and freezing and it'll sure spark her memory), but we did ride it in the spring.
My friend, Jana B, also has a scooter and I would ride on the back of hers or by myself. I started giving Jen and Valerie Nishiguchi rides and they loved it. Let me rephrase that, for Jen, riding the scooter was better than Christmas morning as a 5 year old. And for Valerie, it took a little coaxing, but then she loved it too.
One night during finals, I was totally burnt out. I decided to call Jana and see if she wanted to go for a scooter ride. She excitedly said that she was already riding her scooter and that her friend, Travis, was riding his too. I grabbed Jenae's scooter and we were about to go for a ride as a scooter gang. I remembered how bad Val and Jen were dying to go, so we gave them a call and they jumped on the back of Jana and my Scoot scoots (that's their names). Jen rides with me and Val with Jana. It works out perfectly because Jana is a Utah driver and I'm a California driver. Therefore, Jana is more cautious while I'm a little bit more aggressive. (Don't worry grandma, I'm still totally safe, and the scooters don't go more than 100 mph.) Were great matches for Val and Jen.
Jana had always wanted to have a scooter gang, so we decided now was the perfect time and the Ruckuses were born. We were quite the bunch. Jen and I on Jenae's totally decked out, motorcycle-looking scooter, Val and Jana on her smaller, sweet looking scooter that only has one mirror, and Travis on his pretty much old school 70's bike with a motor, whose breaks squeek like no tomorrow. Going up hills was prtty funny because Travis' scoot could barely make it. We were cheering him on and helping him think light thoughts so as not to weigh the scooter down. We had an initiation by riding up to stone hedge (a gorgeous place, right above the temple that looks over all of Provo). We all told our deepest, darkest secrets and poured our souls out. Okay, not really but it was fun and good bonding time. We stayed up there for quite a while and then rode home and drove into the Miller parking lot honking, screaming, and flashing our lights. A ton of people came out to see what was going on and join in the excitement. We are now officially legends and will live on in scooter history...
P.S. Jen became so obsessed with scooters that we seriously must of ridden them like 5 times in 3 days. And I thought I was obsessive. :)

9 comments:

  1. LOVE your blog! So fun! I can't wait to see all the great stuff you add!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our scooter gang will last forever! Two nights ago I was really getting the scooter craving. It was almost uncontrollable. Then I went in for surgery the next morning and surprisingly the craving went away:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good old ruckuses! Jen was dying for a scooter ride the other day, it was pretty funny, that was all she wanted : ) It has been fun reading this Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so, i had read this post, but had not yet commented - so here is my comment:
    ruckuses for life! boo-yeah! i miss the ruckus gang. we shall re-unite in a few months for some hard-core-ness. watch out provo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'd also like everyone to note that we take safety very seriously - two helmets, four people. oh man. that will probably need to be remedied come fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura,

    Lame! You are online friends with Summer and not me.
    You can check out my blog, if you want.
    http://homespunlight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura I am stalking you...I didn't know you had a blog! I am totally gonna read it now! But we really need to catch up soon. I will call you :)

    ReplyDelete