Saturday, May 2, 2009

My poor children

On Thursday morning, Rachelle Hanshaw went into labor. We had prearranged that I would go over and help get her kids off to school when those lovely contractions consumed her body and it was time to have the lil one. At 7:00 AM, I went over to the Hanshaw house and filled that void. We read the friend, said prayers, made lunches, and the kids did their jobs.
Surprisingly, we still had like a half an hour before they had to go to school. I decided that we should make pancakes. I consulted the children and we came to the conclusion that in honor of their new little brother, we would make chocolate chip pancakes. I am a big believer in bribery, espescially with sugar. Probably not as much with my own kids, but no big deal with someone else's kids. I don't have to worry as much about somone else's kids long term salvation, like I will with my own.
I didn't want to make a mess at Rachelle's, so I ran home and grabbed all the ingredients. I put all the liquid stuff in a bowl and then put the baking powder, sugar, and salt in a baggy and decided to just use some of Rachelle's flour. Michael was kind enough to get the grill/skillet out and start warming it up while I was gone. I grabbed some flour and added all the ingredients together. I was so excited because this was something fun that I could do with the kids that they would enjoy.
I pour out the first pancakes and Michael adds chocolate chips to them. We anxiously watch with excitement and anticipation. The pancakes aren't really looking how they look when I cook them at home. They are kinda flat and not bubbling. I decided it was because I was cooking on a skillet and I normally just use a pan at home. SLowly they started to look more weird, but I couldn't come to any coclusion besides the skillet.
I fed the kids the pancakes and they seemed totally content. I asked all 3 kids if the pancakes tasted funny, and they replied no. But lets think about this logically... Are 3 kids who are eating something that is covered in chocolate chips, butter, and loads of maple syrup, going to say that it tastes funny? I think not. I took one bite of Michael's pancake and decided to pass on my precious pancakes. I mean, they didn't taste bad, they just didn't taste good and they didn't have that pancake texture that we all love.
I sent the kids off to school and began cleaning up. We had made somewhat of a mess with the pancakes and Michael had opened a bag of crackers that exploded everywhere while helping make the kids lunches. So I started sweeeping and wiping off the counters and then I saw this little bag with white powder in it. My immediate thoughts were Tim and Rachelle were doing cocaine. But then I thought about it more logically and remembered that Rachelle was pregnant so it must just be Tim doing it. Then I really looked at the bag and just started laughing. It was the bag that had the baking powwder, salt, and sugar in it and I had forgotten to add it.
Making pancakes is honestly like a 3 step process and I hadn't been able to comlete step 2 because I'm kinda out there when it comes to common sense and just the rush of the morning. I'm always running late and consequently I'm always rushed. When I have kids and then am REALLY rushed, I'm curious as to what I'll forget. Maybe school lunches, basketball practice, or just straight up leaving one at a gas station. We'll just have to wait and see what happens to my poor children...

4 comments:

  1. HA!!!! Oh my gosh, that was so funny. I'm so glad that I read that. That was the best build-up, the greatest punchline, and just so "funny, funny Laura." Your future kids? It is gonna be so freakin' fun all the time, are you kidding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your posts Laura. Don't kid yourself that you'll be any different with your own children. You are who you are and people don't change. Come on you'll be a great mom, they will be having too much fun to care about anything going wrong anyway. And I am one to say that sugar is not a bad incentive.(I don't like to use the word bribe) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Laura May
    None of the good stuff in the cakes.
    What next. What next???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall that morning! It was so sweet of you to help them out like that! You're amazing! I wish you lived a couple miles closer to me... but if you really want the practice, you can come make pancakes for my kids ANY time! They'd love it! And Laura, you're going to be a GREAT mom!!

    ReplyDelete